COVID-19 Government Support Information for Individuals and BusinessPublished on April 17, 2020
Provincial Responses to COVID-19
• Ontario Together Fund: $50M for Helping Businesses Fight COVID-19: The provincial government has allocated $50M in funding towards the Ontario Together Fund, which seeks to provide medical grade equipment to healthcare workers.
• Ontario Provincial Government’s Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Page: The Ontario provincial government has coordinated a wealth of information on COVID-19, including how Ontario is responding, testing information, self-isolation tips, and the status of cases/testing, and other critical information for both individuals and businesses.
• Immediate Actions York Region Employers Should Take in Response to COVID-19: Written in partnership with Mentor Works. The York Region Economic Strategy in supporting the business community during this difficult and uncertain time due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The Key to COVID-19 Business Survival: Cash Flow Support Programs: Written in partnership with Mentor Works. It’s critical to look to the future and how companies can manage their cash flows to sustain their activity in the coming months and beyond.
• Government Funding for Industry Sectors – Information Technology and Communications (ICT): York Region Economic Strategy has partnered with Mentor Works to outline additional longer-term government funding programs.
• Ontario List of Essential Services: Ontario Premier Doug Ford has ordered all non-essential stores and services to close at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24, 2020 in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19.
• March 25, 2020: Ontario’s $17B Action Plan to COVID-19: This $17 billion response is a critical first step to ensure Ontario’s health care system, communities, and economy are positioned to weather the challenges ahead.
• Stop the Spread Business Information Line Now Open: The province has launched a toll-free line 1-888-444-3659 to provide support to Ontario businesses who have questions about the province’s recent emergency order to close at-risk workplaces.
• Response to COVID-19: Ontario Employer Health Tax Exemption Increase for 2020: There has been an increase to the Ontario Employer Health Tax exemption for 2020 from $490,000 to $1 million due to COVID-19.
Federal Responses to COVID-19
• Avoid COVID-19-Related Layoffs with Government Funding Programs: Mentor Works has outlined COVID-19-related funding programs and wage subsidies to avoid layoffs and bring back employees.
• Subsidize 75% of Employee Wages with the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy Program: Get up to 75% of employee wages reimbursed through the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program.
• COVID-19 Support: Temporary Enhancements to Work-Sharing (WS) Program: The government of Canada has increased support and flexibility to the Work-Sharing (WS) program to support families and businesses throughout COVID-19.
• Recap of Canada’s Economic Response to COVID-19: Mentor Works breaks down what the Canadian government’s $27 billion economic support response plan against COVID-19 means for your business and personal income.
Canadian COVID-19 Business Support, Financing, and Resources
• Canadian Banks Offer Relief to Canadians Impacted by COVID-19: Six of Canada’s biggest banks are helping clients experiencing financial interruptions from COVID-19. Read more about the support available.
• NRC IRAP Funding Helps Businesses Provide PPE and Sanitizer: The National Research Council Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP) is using funding to help companies make PPE and sanitization equipment.
• Farm Credit Canada Receives $5B to Support Agri-Businesses during COVID-19: Farm Credit Canada has received $5B from the federal government to extend their lending capacity to agri-businesses facing financial hardships due to COVID-19.
• BDC Support For Entrepreneurs Impacted By Coronavirus: The Minister of Finance recently announced increased financing amounts available towards working capital, domestic/international purchase orders, and small business loans in response to COVID-19.
• Help Canada Combat Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – Submission Form: The federal government recently released a call regarding medical supplies for assisting the government with the COVID19 response.
• $50M in COVID-19 Support from NGen Canada: NGen Manufacturing Canada will invest $50M to fund projects that can provide positive impacts to health care workers and individuals in response to COVID-19.
• NSERC Alliance Announces $15M in Grants for COVID-19 Projects: NSERC Alliance has made $15M available for research and development projects responding to COVID-19 challenges.
• Apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB): If you have stopped working because of COVID-19, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) may provide you with temporary income support. The CERB provides $500 a week for up to 16 weeks.
• Business Continuity Plan And Templates For Entrepreneurs: A suite of resources that businesses can leverage for planning key aspects of their business throughout the COVID-19 outbreak.
Individual Assistance for our seniors and those Self-Isolating
- SPARK Ontario - Helping seniors and the most vulnerable stay connected and healthy as they self isolate during the COVID-19 outbreak. Volunteers help to deliver food or medicines, run errands or check-up on seniors and the most vulnerable by phone or email while they self-isolate. Visit: https://www.sparkontario.ca/
FREE Groceries and Delivery! Grocery hampers for people 70 and up: 1-833-204-9952
Emergency Grocery Delivery for Seniors FREE:
Friendly Neighbour Hotline: 1 (800) 321-5973
For seniors living in low-income housing in Toronto
-Seniors are connected to a network of volunteers throughout the city who can help with picking up groceries, household essentials and food bank items
-Food will be delivered to lobby, where clients pick up
-No delivery fee, Cash preferred
Call Toll-free 1 855 581 9580 available in 180 languages
Open Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm
*Due to volume, orders must be 8 items or fewer
For online orders: http://uhnopenlab.ca/hotline
Caremongering Network at (289)-652-7409 GTA
No charge for food delivery
Client must pay for groceries using e-transfer or cash
Client is matched with a volunteer in their area who will shop for them and deliver
Good Neighbour Project (Facebook Group):
Email: [email protected]
- 211 Ontario - Information and referral for community, government, social and health services, including mental health resources across Ontario (Call 2-1-1 or Toll-free: 1-877-330-3213)
Report Price Gouging at1-800-889-9768
- Pro Bono Ontario – 1-855-255-7256
- Province's Rental Housing Enforcement Unit at 416-585-7214
- Condominium Management Regulatory Authority of Ontario (CMRAO) - If you or your Board has a complaint about a Manager or Management provider, call 416-607-7167 or 1-800-990-3649 or emailing [email protected].
- Apply for emergency assistance - You can apply online or by calling your local Ontario Works office. Approximately $733 for a month if you are a single person and need help paying for food and shelter. More available if you have children and up to 48 days of support depending on your specific situation.