ONTARIO MAKES IT EASIER FOR TRUCK DRIVERS TO GET TESTED FOR COVID-19Published on July 08, 2020
TORONTO - The Ontario government is piloting a new system that will make it easier for truck drivers to access COVID-19 testing through a partnership with DriverCheck. This is part of the government's efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19 and protect public health across the province.
"Expanding access to testing will help keep our truck drivers safe as they move essential goods throughout Ontario and across the border," said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. "We thank Ontario's truck drivers for everything they do to keep goods moving so that families have access to the goods they rely on every day."
The pilot program will allow truck drivers to access voluntary testing on a first-come, first-served basis at locations where there is high volume truck traffic, including Kitchener and Ayr, as well as a mobile option. DriverCheck will roll out the project in phases beginning July 8 until September 8, 2020. DriverCheck is private sector company that currently administers drug and alcohol testing for the trucking industry.
"With this pilot project for truck drivers, we will be able to find cases faster, intervene earlier, reduce the spread and save lives," said Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. "As the province carefully reopens, it is critical that we all continue to follow public health advice such as practicing physical distancing, wearing a face covering when physical distancing is a challenge, and washing your hands thoroughly and frequently."
- Testing will be available at a DriverCheck clinic in Kitchener beginning July 8, 2020, at a truck stop in Ayr beginning July 14, 2020, and at a mobile option at select locations throughout the pilot period.
- Ontario has also released a 511 app that provides up-to-date information for truck drivers during COVID-19. The app is available for free on the App Store and Google Play.
- Every year, $1.26 trillion worth of goods are moved by trucks on Ontario’s roads.
- Visit DriverCheck’s website to learn more about the pilot.
- Learn more about Ontario’s testing plan, Protecting Ontarians Through Enhanced Testing.
- Learn more about A Framework for Reopening our Province.
- Visit Ontario's website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.