Ontario Supporting Independent Book and Magazine PublishersPublished on October 08, 2020
Ontario Creates, an agency of the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries, approved 95 grants to Ontario-based businesses to support the recovery of Ontario's culture industry, including:
- 32 grant recipients approved through the Book Fund, supporting the business development of independent, Ontario-based book publishers as they promote the works of Canadian authors in both foreign and domestic markets.
- 20 grant recipients through the Book Export Fund to help Ontario publishers participate in virtual industry activities and events that will help them build their networks, access new international markets and support company growth.
- 42 recipients through the Magazine Fund, providing grant funding to independent Ontario-based magazine publishers to support business strategies that will help them grow their businesses and reach new audiences.
- 1 recipient through the Industry Development Program, supporting innovative business practices with grant funding that helps businesses grow and develop industry-related skills to become a leader in the market.
"When the COVID-19 pandemic began, Ontario's heritage, sport, tourism and culture industries were among the first and hardest hit. They will take the longest to recover but are vital to the economic and social fabric of our province," said Minister MacLeod. "Ontario's independent book and magazine publishers provide a platform for Canada's authors and content creators to share their diverse art, ideas and voice with the world. Through Ontario Creates, our government is creating opportunities for our culture sector partners to thrive and contribute to our spectacular double bottom line - the financial bottom line of the province, as well as the equally important bottom line of our cultural fabric and identity."
"Over the past six months, our independent publishers have shown incredible resilience, flexibility, and creativity to ensure the survival of this vibrant sector," said Aaron Campbell, Board Chair of Ontario Creates. "Ontario's book and magazine publishers contribute nearly $1 billion to our provincial GDP; Ontario Creates is pleased to invest in innovative projects that are essential to business stability, and that bring Ontario's wealth of books and magazines to new audiences."
"Book and magazine publishers are a vital part of our literary lifeblood and the continuing support from funders like the Ontario government is crucial to ensure our cultural ecology of writers, publishers, bookstores and festivals survives, and begins to thrive again," said Roland Gulliver, Director of the Toronto International Festival of Authors.
Please visit Ontario Creates for more information on funding eligibility requirements and application deadlines.
- This year, the Ontario government supported the Toronto International Festival of Authors with $149,911 in grants through Ontario Creates and the Ontario Arts Council.
- Ontario Creates is an agency of the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries that serves as a catalyst for economic development, investment and collaboration in the province’s creative industries, including the music, book, magazine, film, television and interactive digital media sectors, both domestically and internationally.
- Ontario’s culture sector contributes over $25 billion to the provincial economy and supports almost 270,000 jobs.
- Ontario Creates awarded $29.2 million in grant funding to 655 projects last year.
Arts and Culture
Learn more about the live performances, cultural institutions and creative grants the province has to offer. Learn more
Business and Economy
Information about Ontario’s economy and how to do business here. Includes economic development opportunities, research funding, tax credits for business and the Ontario Budget. Learn more
Education and Training
Learn about Ontario’s early years, education and training systems. Includes information on child care, elementary schools, secondary schools, colleges, universities, skills training and financial aid. Learn more
Learn about the government services available to you and how government works. Learn more
Home and Community
Information for families on major life events and care options, including marriage, births and child care. Also includes planning resources for municipalities. Learn more
Jobs and Employment
We’ve got the resource and supports to help connect job seekers with employers. Learn more
Rural and North
Information about the province’s Far North and rural communities. Get connected to business improvement organizations and learn more about funding and programs that support rural, northern and Indigenous communities. Learn more
Travel and Recreation
Learn more about hunting and fishing, provincial parks, festivals and events, and visiting Ontario. Learn more