Ontario Supports the Production of Critical Supplies to Fight the Spread of COVID-19Published on October 19, 2020
The Ontario government continues to work together with businesses and the manufacturing sector to expand production of domestic PPE to ensure preparedness, both now and for the future. To support the fight against COVID-19, Greenfield Global is investing a total of $75 million at their facility in Johnstown Ontario to produce the medical-grade alcohol critical to making hand sanitizers used by Ontario individuals, families, and front-line workers. The Ontario government is investing $2.5 million through the Ontario Together Fund in support of this project.
The announcement was made today by Steve Clark, MPP for Leeds—Grenville—Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes and Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on behalf of Vic Fedeli, Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade.
"Ontario is supporting companies like Greenfield Global so they can continue to provide made-in-Ontario solutions to reduce our dependence on foreign supply chains and strengthen our domestic capacity," said Minister Fedeli. "By working together with these innovative businesses, we are ensuring we are well-prepared for the future as we continue our fight against COVID-19."
With Ontario's support, Greenfield will undertake a major upgrade of the Johnstown facility's distillation technology to produce over 114 million litres, or the equivalent of over 150 million one litre bottles, of specialty medical-grade alcohol annually, which will be used in hand sanitizers and other applications that rely on high purity alcohol. The project will help reduce Ontario's dependency on other jurisdictions as a source of high-grade alcohols and will strengthen the province's position as a leader in PPE production, while creating new jobs.
"I am pleased to announce our government's support for Greenfield Global as they upgrade their facilities to provide critical PPE for Ontarians," said Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. "This is a great investment in producing made-in-Ontario solutions in the Johnstown community as we work together to get Ontario back on track."
Through the Ontario Together Fund, the government is delivering targeted investments that will increase the province's stockpile of Ontario-made products and PPE. This new manufacturing capacity will help the province to combat the current COVID-19 outbreak and prepare for potential challenges in the future, while supporting local businesses during the safe and gradual reopening of the province.
- The government launched the $50 million Ontario Together Fund to help businesses retool their operations to produce PPE and develop technology-driven solutions and services for businesses to reopen safely.
- Businesses and individuals looking to help in the fight against COVID-19 can submit their proposals through the Ontario Together web portal.
- The Workplace PPE Supplier Directory provides businesses with information on personal protective equipment (PPE) suppliers.
- Learn more about the fall preparedness plan
- See how your organization can help fight COVID-19
- Information and advice to help your business navigate the economy during COVID-19
- Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19
- Learn more about Greenfield Global
Business and Economy
Information about Ontario’s economy and how to do business here. Includes economic development opportunities, research funding, tax credits for business and the Ontario Budget. Learn more
Learn about the government services available to you and how government works. Learn more
Jobs and Employment
We’ve got the resource and supports to help connect job seekers with employers. Learn more